Lexington Little League Coach/Volunteer Code of Conduct
The essential elements of character building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles:
Lexington Little League has implemented the following Coach Code of Conduct for the important message it holds about the proper role of Coaches in supporting and developing players, and promoting good sportsmanship and safety. Coaches should read and understand the below prior to accepting a coach position. By accepting a Manager/Coach position, you hereby agree and pledge to provide a safe and supportive environment, demonstrate a positive attitude, and thereby acknowledge and agree:
1. I will engage, teach and provide enjoyment to players through participation in organized baseball and/or softball. Each player will be treated fairly, and his or her welfare will be uppermost at all times.
2. I recognize that my conduct reflects on the entire Lexington Little League organization and will not act in a manner that jeopardizes the league or its relationship with players, families, or community partners.
3. I will never place the value of winning above the value of good sportsmanship and character.
4. I will ensure that all players regardless of skill or ability are allotted, at a minimum, the guaranteed play time as required by Little League International.
5. I will, to the best of my ability, learn, understand and follow the rules of Lexington Little League baseball/softball and teach them to my players.
6. I will organize practices that are enjoyable and challenging for the players.
7. I will encourage all of my players to be team players.
8. I will respect and support the league umpires. I understand that public criticism of umpires will not be tolerated.
9. I will not engage in the use of profanity or other offensive language.
10.I will maintain an open line of communication with parents and players and explain the goals and objectives of Little League.
11.I will promote goods sportsmanship in both winning and/or losing, promote and encourage players to show respect for others, to act and play with integrity, and take personal responsibility for their words and actions.
12. I will be generous with my praise when it is deserved; I will be consistent, honest, fair and ethical; I will not berate players publicly or shame them.
13. I will refrain from the use of alcohol, drugs, and tobacco products when in contact with players.
I understand that there will be zero tolerance for coaches who intimidate, physically or verbally abuse players, officials, or participants. I also agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be subjected to disciplinary action levied by the Lexington Little League Board of Directors that could include, but is not limited to the following:
Manager/coaches suspension for games
Manager/coaches season suspension
Manager/coach removal from all league activities
The Lexington Little League Board of Directors retains the sole authority to determine what, if any, disciplinary action is appropriate for any conduct infraction.